How to Activate Turmeric for Maximum Benefit
We share our top tips to maximise the benefit of eating turmeric
Most of us know the benefits of turmeric (curcumin), arguably the most well-studied dietary supplement in modern natural medicine.
One of the issues with curcumin is its poor bioavailability, meaning that the body needs helps with absorbing and assimilating it to gain the benefits.
Simple ways to improve absorption:
- The best turmeric supplements combine curcumin and black pepper. Adding black pepper can increase absorption of curcumin by 2,000%! The liver actively tries to get rid of the curcumin. By adding even just a pinch of pepper, this helps to suppress this process, allowing curcumin levels in the bloodstream to rise. Traditionally, turmeric is eaten with pepper in curries, which could be why cancer rates in India are lower than in Western countries.
- Combining with a healthy oil, such as coconut oil, means that the curcumin can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream through the lymphatic system, bypassing the liver, allowing it to stay for longer in the body.
- Combining with raw honey packs a power boost of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Heat it up to help activate it. When cooking, and Turmeric is heated up, it becomes more bioavailable.
How to eat turmeric:
- Include turmeric powder or turmeric root in your daily diet as opposed to supplements – it’s best to eat in its natural form
- Enjoy as delicious golden milk or in other tea combos
- Have a spoonful of turmeric honey a day. We love Wunder Workshop’s Golden Honey
- When cooking, you can make a paste by heating the turmeric with coconut oil and water, and adding black pepper, which you can store in the fridge and add to recipes, smoothies or yogurt.
- Add turmeric powder or root to soups, curries and vegetables. As an example, including 1/2-1 teaspoon a day of powdered Turmeric in your diet is well suited to many people.
Whether you are having turmeric root, powder or supplements, I always recommend you go for organic, because of the potential for additives and treatments that kitchen spices sometimes go through. Keep it pure and organic.
Turmeric may do wonders for your liver and help increase the production of vital enzymes which are responsible for detoxifying our blood that goes to the liver by breaking down toxins. Discover our detox retreats so you can combine a diet plan to stimulate the body and eliminate toxins.
Talk to one of our Travel Specialists on or contact us here to discuss tailor-making your perfect wellness holiday.